Chicken Basil Stir Fry



For some reason I've been craving stir fry for a couple of months, but I haven't made it yet.  I don't know why except that I haven't come across a recipe that looked really good and I'm definitely a follows-a-recipe kind of a girl.  So if I don't see a recipe that looks good, odds are that I won't be creating within my own kitchen. To that end, I recently ordered a new cookbook, "The Real Food Diet Cookbook," by Dr. Josh Axe.  The first recipe I saw on Amazon's "peak inside" was what made me want to buy this cookbook (which I'll try later and put on here if it's as good as it looks), and I haven't been disappointed so far.  One of the first recipes I tried, because of my aforementioned craving, was his Chicken Basil Stir Fry.  Really good.  It definitely has a soy sauce flavor, but it's not overpowering.  I tweaked some of the ingredient amounts to my taste(and added sliced zucchini because I had some that was going to go bad), in spite of my recipe following habit, so the recipe is pretty forgiving.  Forgiving = easy.  Which is good, especially for those of you new to the whole real food phenomenon.


Ingredients


1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
1/2 large red onion, thinly sliced
7 - 10 shitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 cups small broccoli florets
1 cups carrots, peeled and julienne cut
1 lb. chicken breast, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
2 tablespoons of fresh basil, chopped
2 teaspoons Bragg's liquid aminos*


Directions


Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Saute onion and mushroom until lightly browned, 3 - 5 minutes.  Add broccoli and carrots and stir fry until broccoli is bright green and carrots are tender, about 5 - 7 minutes.  Transfer vegetables to a bowl and set aside.




Add more oil to the pan if needed and cook chicken for 5 minutes or until done.  Return vegetables to skillet, then season with basil and Bragg's.  Cook one minute more or until heated through.




*Bragg's Liquid Aminos is an all-natural answer to soy sauce.  It is a Certified NON-GMO liquid protein concentrate, derived from soybeans.



(Recipe adapted from Dr. Josh Axe, "The Real Food Diet Cookbook")

2 comments:

  1. I'm making this tonight for the family I live with in Paris! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What did they think? And how is Paris??? (I'm v. jealous slash thrilled for you that you're over there!)

    ReplyDelete