Smashed Cauliflower



This recipe might not seem very exciting to y'all, but I must say that it is one of my go-to recipes when I need a good side dish.  I will confess that I'm not always as organized as I'd like to be when it comes to planning my meals.  I try to be, but let's be honest...we can't do it all.  So for that reason, it's not often that you'll open my refrigerator and not find a head of cauliflower in there.  Unless, of course, I use the head that's in there, in which case I (practically) rush out to purchase another one.  Because like I said, it's my go-to side dish, and I never know when I'm gonna need it.

Not only is smashed cauliflower one of the easiest things to cook, but it tastes really good.  My four-year-old nephew fell for it when my sister told him he was eating mashed potatoes.  And he gobbled them. 

So for those of you who are in a hurry at dinner time or who have small children at home (or both) don't fret...you, too, can eat real food!

Ingredients

1 head of cauliflower
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Cut off cauliflower stems.  Steam cauliflower until tender.  In a mixing bowl, combine cauliflower, olive oil, and salt and pepper.  Blend with an immersion blender until smooth (or add to a food processor and puree).  Serve immediately.


1 comment: