Berry Sauce



Pictured above: berry sauce stirred into goat's milk kefir

I often eat yogurt and fruit for breakfast.  It's quick, easy to carry if I'm on the go, and healthy.  So when I saw this recipe, I knew I had to try it.  This berry sauce gives yogurt and fruit a little twist and serves to make flavored yogurt.   No more gross fruit on the bottom!  You could do yogurt with this berry sauce and nuts on top.  Or you could mix the sauce with kefir and put it over granola.  The berry sauce would also be good on top of pancakes or waffles.  Even ice cream if you need a sweet treat.  Just make sure you're eating an all-natural ice cream.  The recipe comes from another blog, and as that blogger pointed out, this sauce is a great alternative to this:


Hershey's "Strawberry Syrup."  Gross.  Ok, so I've actually never had that syrup but I think it sounds pretty gross.  Children, though, have gross taste buds.  So for those of you with children, this might be right up their alley. 

This recipe is simple.  Just three ingredients.  And it takes no more than 10 minutes to prepare.  It doesn't make a big batch, but the flavor is strong enough that you don't need more than a few teaspoons. 

Ingredients

3/4 cup frozen berries
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup water


Directions

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. 



Bring to a light simmer. Cook until the berries have softened, about 5 – 10 minutes. Remove from heat and puree with hand immersion blender or countertop blender.  Use immediately or store in airtight container in refrigerator.

Note: The berries I used were raspberries and blackberries so after I blended the mixture, I strained it using a fine-mesh strainer to get rid of the seeds.  That step is optional and up to your taste preferences.  


(Recipe from www.100daysofrealfood.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment