Swiss Chard Squares

A pictorial guide to why I love the farmers' market:


Y'all.  Those are red onions.  I'm clearly a city girl because I never knew red onions had stalks like that.  I fell in love with them when I saw them.  If for no other reason than that they are so beautiful.  Because they are.  I left them out on my counter on purpose, and despite the clutter, just so I could look a them.

And don't forget about this:


That is swiss chard.  Again, city girl.  I had never heard of swiss chard, much less cooked with it, but that's why I love a farmers' market and being a part of a CSA.  Each week I get a basket of local produce.  I never know what's coming but I can always be sure it's fresh and local and I can trust where it came from.  Lately we've been getting a lot of swiss chard.  For a few weeks I just steamed it with some garlic and onion, and it was good, but I was pretty excited when my CSA came with a recipe for Swiss Chard Squares.  They're similar to quiche.  But not.  We ate them for breakfast one morning and then again as the bread to go along with our meatloaf.  So they're versatile.  For those of you party planners (or baby shower planners if, like me, all of your friends seem to be expecting!) these would be perfect cut into small pieces in lieu of baby quiches. 

Ingredients

3 pastured eggs
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (or white whole wheat flour)
1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
2 1/2 cups shredded cheese (I used swiss)
2 1/2 cups chopped swiss chard



1-2 minced garlic scapes (or minced garlic)*


Directions

Preheat oven to 350.  Mix together eggs, milk, flours, and baking powder.  Add cheese, swiss chard, and garlic scapes and stir together. 



Press mixture into a greased 8 x 8 inch baking dish.  Bake about 30 - 35 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Serve warm or cold!



*City girl farm lesson of the day: Garlic grows underground and has a bulb. much like an onion.  Garlic bulbs, wanting to become garlic plants, grow hard and eventually shoot green things that are long and thing (again, much like an onion) up through the ground.  These green things are garlic scapes and they taste like a cross between garlic and an onion.  Someone at your local farmers' market shoudl have garlic scapes, but if you can't find garlic scapes, plain minced garlic will do in this recipe. 

2 comments:

  1. Haaaaahahahahah! This post reminds me of the time you called from summer camp to tell me you had killed a snake with a hoe: "You know, one of those things you use on a farm." No matter that we had two hoes in the garage. Probably had fresh onions with the stalk, too.
    Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is funny! Every single week when I drive up the hill to church in my car (well, before it died anyway) I thought about calling Daddy when I drove up the mountain in my camry and didn't know why it was losing speed. Ha!

    ReplyDelete