Pea and Almond Couscous


Like I said last week, I'm really trying to be better about using whatever I have in my pantry before I buy more ingredients.  This recipe was perfect for that as I pretty much keep everything on hand that it calls for.  I typically keep whole wheat couscous on hand because it is a good substitute in place of rice or quinoa.  You know, helps keep things interesting.  Plus it's v. easy to prepare as it requires little more than the addition of hot water and fluffing with a fork.  And it's healthy to boot.  Protein?  Check.  (about 6 grams per serving).  Selenium?  Check.  (Selenium is an antioxidant commonly used to protect blood vessels from atherosclerosis, a condition that causes the buildup of plaque and narrowing of the arteries and can result in heart stress and cardiovascular disease.)  Potassium?  Check.  All of this AND it tastes good.  Win win.  Actually with its easy preparation, health benefits and good tasta I guess that would be win win win.

I've also had some peas in my freezer for a month or so that I bought before I could get them at the farmers' market and then when I could get them at the farmers' market I was using fresh peas instead of frozen.  So I needed to use up my frozen peas as they were in danger (and might actually have succumbed to) freezer burn. 

This recipe was a perfect way to use up some more ingredients and try a little something different.  Not bad for not going to the grocery store.  So keep this little nugget on hand for when you're in a pinch.  Oh, and make sure you keep healthy items like whole wheat couscous and almonds on hand, too.

Ingredients

2 tablespoons butter
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 cup sliced raw almonds
3 cups free range chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups whole wheat couscous
1/2 cup frozen peas (or fresh if you have them)

Directions

Cook onions and almonds in butter over medium heat in a medium sized saucepan until onions are soft. Add chicken broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Stir in couscous and peas. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes or until all of liquid is absorbed. Stir to combine and fluff with a fork.

(Recipe from www.kitchensimplicity.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment