Tomato Pesto Grilled Cheese


I have more tomatoes than I know what to do with, thanks to my CSA.  Red tomatoes?  Check.  Green tomatoes? Check.  Yellow tomatoes?  Check.  Conveniently, grilled cheese with tomato is one of my favorite sandwiches.  My mother made this recipe a couple of months ago and it's pretty much the perfect solution to my too many tomatoes problem.  Artisan bread, pesto, tomatoes, mozzarella.  Less than four ingredients.  Gourmet grilled (kind of) cheese sandwich.

What exactly do I mean by artisan bread?  When I think artisan bread I think something along these lines:

photo from here

Artisan bread is pretty much what its name suggests: "art" in bread, bread that is crafted, rather than mass produced. Special attention is typically given to ingredients, process, and a return to the fundamentals of the age-old bread-making tradition make artisan bread different from soft, preservative-laden commercial breads.  And as you know, here at snacksanddesserts, we don't eat preservatives so artisan bread is right up our alley.  Find a local bakery or a Great Harvest, or perhaps even make your own.  I think this sandwich would be delish on sourdough.


Ingredients

Artisan bread
Pesto
Heirloom tomatoes, peeled and sliced thickly*
Mozzarella (or cheese of your preference)
Directions

Preheat oven on Broil.  Spread pesto on bread. 


Top with tomatoes.


And cheese. 


Run under broiler until cheese melts.


Top with basil, if desired, for a prettier presentation.

*Note: I always always peel my tomatoes. I blame my mother for spoiling me by peeling our tomatoes! I used to think it was a big fat pain to peel tomatoes until I discovered this method. So easy. Cut an "x" on the bottom of each tomato you want peeled.




Bring enough water to cover tomatoes to a boil. Drop the tomatoes in the boiling water for 30 - 60 seconds, just long enough to heat up the skin. Remove and put in a bowl of ice water (so it doesn't cook). The skin will probably break, but if not, it will have curled up a bit where you cut the "x." 




With a knife pull up on the skin. Voila. The skin will slide right off the entire tomato.



No comments:

Post a Comment