Sesame Carrot Chips


Please.  Before you click away from this recipe because you don't like cooked carrots, hear me out on this one.  Am I the only one whose husband complains that I don't tell him things when in reality I know for a fact I told him and he just didn't listen? This recipe illustrates that fact (yes, it's a fact) perfectly.  A few weeks ago I tried this recipe.  I know the husband doesn't really love cooked carrots, but I do, and I'll be honest and admit that sometimes I cook things even if I know he won't love them.  Just because I will.  Does that make me so selfish?  Nah.  I think it just means I'm lovingly broadening his horizons! 

So we're sitting down to eat dinner, and I'm telling the husband something. I can't remember what I was telling him but I feel sure it was important. It usually is.  And all of a sudden he gets a look on his face like this:


Which clearly indicates to me that he's not paying attention.  Obviously.  He puts his fork down, interrupts me, and says, with his mouth full I might add, "Oh my word.  This recipe has to go on the blog.  Immediately."  I would have been offended that he interrupted me (and clearly wasn't paying attention) except that it took me so off guard because he generally doesn't like cooked carrots.  And although he is my A #1 tastetester, who knew he actually thought about my blog beyond eating the food I cook?  So I kind of laughed and said, "that good, huh."  "No, you don't understand," he says, as if I'm not eating the same thing.  "These are amazing."

Actually, I did understand.  And I couldn't have agreed more.  These carrot chips are, in fact, a.maz.ing.  I've made them twice since that night as they have quickly become a family favorite.  Last night I told the husband I was going to post this recipe.  He got very, very excited and commenced to tell me that I would, no doubt, double my following based on this recipe alone.  (Again, who knew he even knew that blogs had followers?).  I hope he's right.  But even if he's not, to those of you who are following this blog (and I can't thank you enough), this one's for you.  You will love.

Ingredients

2 pounds carots, sliced into thin rounds



1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
1 tablespoon sesame oil
Sea salt to taste
4 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large skillet over medium heat, saute sliced carrots in grapeseed oil until soft (about 6 to 10 minutes).  Remove from heat and toss with sesame oil and sea salt. 


Spread carrots on a cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.  Remove from oven, toss with sesame seeds, and serve warm.

Printable Recipe

(Recipe from The Real Food Diet Cookbook by Dr. Josh Axe)

2 comments: