Black Bean Soup

For the past 10 days, if I haven't had to be at work I've pretty much been in bed with a t.e.r.r.i.b.l.e. cold, which explains my lack of blog posts.  So sorry!  But I do mean terrible. 

Photo from here


Ok, that's not really me.  But it might as well be because that's what I felt (and probably looked) like.  I typically have a freakish immune system.  While the hubs gets sick several times a year, I've had one cold in the past five years.  One.  Until 10 days ago.  10 days ago made the second cold.  And I guess my immune system wanted to make up for the last five years of hard work because it really shut down.  The hubs had had the same cold two weeks prior.  I kept asking him what he needed me to do for him.  What could I do to make him feel better?  His response: "Just don't ask me to rub your back or your feet.  That's all I need."  (I'm not sure if that makes him really sweet or me really high maintenance.  But that's neither here nor there).  Well, when I broke down with the cold, I needed much more than that.  (I guess it means I'm high maintenance).  I obviously needed him to scratch my back.  And of course I needed him to make me grilled cheese and soup.  For some reason that's all I wanted to eat when I was curled up in bed.  Sweet hubs obliged.  Until he went out of town.  Then I was on my own.  Although, thank goodness my dog Janey was at home to lie around with me.

Yes, she sleeps on a pillow.  Cutest dog ever.

So while the hubs was gone, I went to the grocery store to see what kind of soup I could find.  Naturally I looked at the canned soups because I just didn't feel up to cooking much, but even the organic selection had sugar in it.  Why does everything have sugar in it???  Then I remembered this very easy black bean soup recipe I had at home.  Better yet, I already had all the ingredients on hand.  Even better still, it's almost as easy as warming up soup from a can.  It was just what the doctor ordered.  Figuratively speaking.  Try it and let me know what you think.  It might even make you excited about the inevitable colder weather coming.  Might being the operative word. 

Ingredients

2 15-ounce cans organic black beans, undrained
1/2 cup salsa (fresh and local if you can find it)
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 cups free range chicken broth
Optional:
shredded cheese
organic sour cream
chopped green onions
chopped fresh cilantro

Directions

Place beans and liquid in a medium saucepan. Partially mash beans with a potato masher. (Full disclosure: I couldn't find my potato masher so I used my hands and it worked just as well). Place over high heat. Stir in salsa, chili powder, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Ladle into bowls. Top with cheese, sour cream, onions, and cilantro, if desired.

(Recipe slightly adapted from Cooking Light, October 2003)

No comments:

Post a Comment