Cranberry Salad


I've mentioned my grandmother, before, right?  Meemaw?  Meemaw was way ahead of her time.  She was "organic" before organic was cool.  As in the 1950's.  She ordered a book and taught herself yoga in the 60's because she had read about it but couldn't find classes anywhere.  She was amazing.  She made up this recipe.  As long as I can remember our family had this cranberry salad at every Thanksgiving (and Christmas) meal.  When I was really little we ate it at Meemaw's house.  When my sisters and I got old enough that our family stayed at home for holidays, we had it at our house.  The tradition continues, so when we got the menu from Muth this year, I signed up to make this dish.  It is so easy and so good.  My uncle was at our Thanksgiving dinner today and when he tasted it he smiled and told me I had done it perfectly.  I was so pleased that I conjured up memories of his holidays growing up with his mother (my Meemaw).  In reality, though, it would've been impossible not to do it perfectly.  It's that easy.  So next time you have to volunteer to take a dish to a meal in the fall (holiday or otherwise) try this one.  It will be a hit.  I promise.

From my family to yours . . . happy Thanksgiving!

Ingredients

1 bag fresh cranberries
1 orange
1 apple
Fresh pineapple chunks (approximately 1 cup)
Honey to taste
Handful of pecans or walnuts

Directions

Place pineapple chunks in a food processor and blend until coarsely chopped.  Add remaining ingredients, except nuts.


I usually chop my apple and orange like this (although it certainly isn't absolutely necessary):



Blend ingredients together until it reaches the consistency you desire.  Add the pecans or walnuts and blend briefly.  The final product will look like this.



No comments:

Post a Comment