Chocolate Fudge Pie



Let me preface this post by stating that I have never cooked or prepared food with tofu in my life.  Not even once.  I've eaten tofu before, and it's fine, but it's never really done much for me.  I don't love it or hate it (although sometimes the consistency kinda freaks me out).  So it makes no sense whatsoever that when we had dinner plans with friends last weekend -- the first meal after our 7 day juice fast -- and I was tapped to bring dessert, I decided to make this pie.  Like I said, I don't love tofu, and I've never cooked, much less baked, with it.  And as a general rule, I don't take experimental recipes to other people.  But for some reason, I felt inclined to try this pie.  Perhaps my brain as addled after a week of a juice fast, because even the hubs told me it didn't sound good and I shouldn't take an experimental chocolate pie whose main ingredient was tofu to a friend's house for dinner.  But I would not be dissuaded.  Try this chocolate tofu pie I must.  So.  Glad.  I.  Did.

Chocolate Covered Katie is a blog I've happened upon several times since I cut out processed foods 19 months ago.  Everything on her blog looks pretty delish, but I'll admit it: I was a skeptic.  Tofu?  In something chocolate?  Not likely.  So in spite of her blogging success, including 12,000 or so followers, I never made the leap.  I obviously know better than sweet Katie and her 12,000 or so followers.  Obviously.

Obviously not.

Lesson learned.  And now I have lots of time to make up for.  Which is a good thing because as I sit here typing, I am craving chocolate.  

And in case you're wondering -- the pie was a hit with the hubs and our friends!  My friend's hubs didn't even know, and probably still doesn't, that it even had tofu in it.   

**As an aside, please again forgive the terrible -- and I do mean terrible -- quality of these photos.  Being the skeptic that I was, I didn't take pictures because I assumed it wasn't blog worthy.  Then on the way to our friends' house, in the car, I decided I should take some just in cases.  (Name that movie).

Ingredients

1 12.3-oz package silken or firm tofu (such as Mori-Nu)
1 tsp cocoa powder
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk (preferably raw)
1/8 tsp salt
10 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
2-3 tablespoons honey

Directions

Melt the chocolate.  Combine melted chocolate and remaining ingredients into a food processor.  Blend until very smooth. Pour into a pie crust if desired. I went crustless because I didn't have time to make one, but I'm sure it would be equally good with a crust if you love crust. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. The pie gets firmer and firmer, the longer it sits. 


According to CCK, it's firmer if you use firm tofu and more like mousse pie if you use silken.  When I went to Whole Foods they had silken firm so I went with that, and it was pretty firm.  And delish.

Top with homemade whip cream, if desired.  Or homemade peppermint whip cream!



Recipe slightly adapted from www.chocolatecoveredkatie.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment