Goat Cheese and Asparagus Crustless Quiche



Goat cheese = delish.  Goat cheese also = healthy.  It's lower calorie and lower fat that cow's cheese and it has a high calcium and protein content.  It contains probiotics (the "good" bacteria that aid gastrointestinal health in the human body) and it's easier to digest so even people who are lactose intolerant can eat goat cheese.  These benefits are just a few of the numerous health benefits of goat cheese.

Don't get me wrong, I love cow's cheese.  Always have.  Always will.  But I also love goat cheese for it's somewhat milder taste and it's creamy texture.  I grew up eating goat cheese because my mother loves it.  And I'm so glad she does because I reaped the benefits of it growing up!  If you haven't ever tried goat cheese, you're missing out, so go out and buy some this weekend.

This recipe is the perfect way to break yourself in if you're unsure.  Combined with eggs and asparagus, the goat cheese isn't overpowering.  Not that goat cheese is overpowering anyway.  But still, if you're scared of it. this recipe is a good one to try.   And if you're not scared, this is still a good recipe to try because it's delicious. 

I got the beautiful pie pan pictured above as a wedding gift from my sister's mother-in-law.  So sweet, right?  It's made by a local potter, which makes me love it even more.  As I've become more and more of a locavore I've become more and more of a loca-everything.  So not only did I get to use my local goat cheese, I also got to use a pie pan from a local potter.  Win Win.

Ingredients


1 lb. asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths (optional: reserve tips for garnish)
1 tsp coconut oil
2 large shallots
2 cloves garlic, peeled
5 oz. fresh goat cheese
2 large eggs
5 large egg whites


Directions


Coat 4 ramekins or a 9-inch baking pan with coconut oil or butter.  Toss asparagus in coconut oil in bowl and season with salt and pepper.  Put asparagus in ramekins or baking pan and place in the oven.  Preheat to 425.


Meanwhile, place shallots and garlic in bowl of food processor and process until finely minced.  Add goat cheese and process until creamy.  Add eggs and egg whites and puree until smooth.  Season with salt and pepper.


Pour egg mixture over asparagus in ramekins or baking pan once oven is preheated, stirring to distribute vegetables evenly.  Bake 15 minutes or until top is light brown and tester inserted in center comes out clean.  Garnish with asparagus tips, if using.




(Recipe adapted from Vegetarian Times, January/February 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment