Granola/Granola Bars

I love a good bowl of granola.  Sometimes I like it with milk (raw, of course) and fruit on top.


photo from here

And sometimes I like it with plain yogurt in lieu of milk for a little extra substance.  Lately I've been on a granola with yogurt kick.  Well, backup.  Lately I've been on a Starbucks latte kick.  Nothing better than a double tall, whole milk, decaf, one honey latte (decaf because caffeine makes me lethargic in the afternoons once the high has worn off).  But alas.

photo from here

=

photo from here

And my bank account is none too happy about my recent habit.  The hubs has tried to make me lattes at home.  Let's be honest, though, there's just something about Starbucks.  Or about Dose, Fido, or Bongo Java, some local coffee shops here in Nashville.  At the end of the day, storebought lattes are just plain delish.  But I digress.  Granola.  That's what we're talking about.

So I'm on a granola kick as I try to kick my double-tall-whole-milk-decaf-one-honey-latte-for-breakfast habit.  The problem is that most store bought recipes have lots of refined sugar.  And the all natural granola is expensive.  Enter my friend who also eats an all natural diet.  She shared this recipe with me and it is delish.   All natural.  Inexpensive.  Easy.  Win win win.  It also makes a lot and can be stored in the freezer so it lasts a long time (if you can stop yourself from grabbing a handful every time you're in the kitchen.)

Ingredients

2 lb rolled oats (not instant or quick cooking)
1/2 lb coconut, unsweetened
1/2 lb raw almonds, slivered or whole
1/2 lb raw pumpkin seeds
1/2 lb chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon cinnamon
3/4 cup maple syrup
3/4 c honey
1 cup sunflower oil
2 tablespoons vanilla
1-3 cups dried fruit

Directions

Preheat oven to 275.  Mix oats, coconut, almonds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, and cinnamon in a bowl.  In a separate bowl mix maple syrup, honey, sunflower oil, and vanilla.   Stir well to combine.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring to combine.  Pour the mixture onto a baking sheet and bake at 275, stirring every 15 minutes, until brown, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.  Remove from oven.  Pour fruit on top and allow the pan to sit for 15 minutes until crunchy.  Store in airtight container at room temperature or in freezer (not in the refrigerator).

*You really can't mess this up as far as ingredients go.  If there is something you don't like leave it out or replace it with something you like more.

** For granola bars: after the granola cools,  add 3 beaten eggs to 3 cups granola.  (You could also add dark chocolate chips if you want to add a little sweetness).  Pat into square baking pan.  Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.  Note: the eggs dillute the sweetness somewhat so the bars aren't quite as sweet as the cereal.

No comments:

Post a Comment