Orzo with Goat Cheese, Peas, and Mint


If the picture above looks familiar, it's because you might remember a few weeks back when I posted this recipe, one I made in an effort to use up my frozen peas and because I had some couscous on hand.  It was pretty good, right?  Well, this one might be better.  When I was buying the ingredients for this recipe I got the whole wheat orzo at Whole Foods.  At the time I was annoyed because the only box of whole wheat orzo I could find was much larger than the refined flour orzo (as in like 4 times as big), and I didn't need such a big box for just the two of us. But when I tasted the finishd product I was so glad! I only used about a quarter of the orzo in the box, so now I have plenty to make several more batches.  

Instead of couscous, this recipe calls for orzo (a rice shaped pasta).  It also calls for goat cheese.  Have I mentioned that I'm really loving goat cheese lately?  Our local farmers' market has a goat's dairy farmer and his goat cheese and milk are really fresh and yummy.  And local, obviously, which is always a plus.  Goat cheese and mint and lemon zest.  Pretty delish.  And it can be eaten hot or cold so you can eat it for dinner one night and have the leftovers for lunch the next day without even having to reheat it.  Just spoon it out and enjoy.  Anything that makes life a little less hectic without sacrificing flavor wins.  Because I don't know about you, but when I find good, real foods recipes that are quick to enjoy, well, I'm quick to make them. 

Ingredients

1 pound whole wheat orzo, cooked 
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 teaspoon lemon zest 
1 cup peas, fresh or frozen and thawed
6 ounces crumbled goat cheese 
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Cook orzo according to package directions.  Combine hot cooked orzo with olive oil and lemon zest.  Stir in remaining ingredients. 


Can be served warm or cold.


(recipe from www.framedcooks.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment